Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Rainy Day Rice Pudding

The heater broke in my office. It was 53 degrees F in my cubical yesterday morning. No amount of coffee can brave that. Since I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to sync my work e-mail to my personal e-mail (not savvy enough... or can't be bothered? Same difference) I didn't get the "you-should-work-from-home" e-mail my boss sent out that morning. I had a meeting later that day so I stayed.

I should mention that this is my biggest nightmare. Freezing to death. Or one of them. The other ones involve failing a class (despite my graduation), and pant-less-ness. 

It most likely comes from the fact that I am rarely, if ever, completely warm and content. My fingernails have the tendency to turn blue when I'm cold. Looking at them only heightens my awareness of how how the chill IS really in my bones. I've read Into the Wind. Hypothermia is soon to follow.

So this morning, when I got the "you-should-work-from-home" e-mail at 7:00am I did the sensible thing. I stayed in my pajamas all day and worked from home. And just as I was patting myself on the back for not getting distracted around the house, I decided the perfect thing for a rainy day was a hot bowl of rice pudding for a pre-lunch snack. (That turned into a lunch and after-lunch snack too. Even kinda still thinking about it now...)

Trying to stay true to my hours, I wanted to put something on and forget about it until the timer went off. While I love crockpots (don't worry dears, you'll get your Crockpot fix here in later posts) the thought of being home for the entire 6 hours it takes to make something with them is painful. When I use Crockpots it's so I can throw something in at lunch and be pleasantly surprised when I get home that a meal is waiting for me. (It's magic!) Checking on it every hour or so is pure torture. So therefore, I did a variation- I made it in the rice cooker- and made the recipe up myself. 

I've tried making recipes up a few times. Considering I cook gluten-free, dairy-free, fat-free and low sugar I'll let you decide if it sounds like my recipes turn out like Martha's. But this one actually did! Super yummy and creamy and just what I wanted. 

GF DF Low-Fat Rice Pudding in Rice Cooker


2-3 cups COOKED white rice (leftovers)
3 cups Rice Milk
1 cup water
1/2 to 3/4 cups sugar
teaspoon of vanilla

Later add-
1/2 cup tempered egg whites
1/2 teaspoon tapioca starch

Mix up the first 5 ingredients and turn on your rice cooker to the white rice cycle. 

About 20 minutes in, whisk up egg whites with tapioca starch (or any other GF starch). Open the Rice Cooker and spoon out some of the liquid into the egg whites and whisk together. This is called tempering and keeps the eggs from scrambling when you add them to hot liquid. 
Once well incorporated, pour into the cooker, mix throughly and let it finish its cycle. 

Once buzzer goes off, it will have separated a bit. Stir up until fully combined and there you have it!

Yummmmmmmm. Serve hot or chilled with cinnamon and raisins. It will thicken as it cools. 

I burned my mouth. You should probably let it cool more than 15 seconds. 

Mushy food for the win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment